Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Come Thou Fount

I mentioned in an earlier post how much I love the song "Come Thou Fount." It is a hymn composed by Robert Robinson in 1758 and has graced the hymnals of many different Christian Sects.

Music has always been an important part of my life. There is something about good music that can affect you right at your core. As I read the words (posted below) I feel so much gratitude and love for my Father in Heaven and His Son. I feel so completely indebted for what His sacrifice means for all of us, and the magnitude of love that has been, and is poured out in our behalf. He knows us personally, and as we come to understand him and all he has done for us better, we recognize the scope of that great love. The words in this song really touch me as I contemplate my own history and trials my family has endured; as well as the life changing decisions we face at this time. No matter what, I know we are not alone on this earth. I look forward to General Conference this weekend where we can listen to words of a Prophet and his apostles.

Here is a link on youtube of the song being performed by the Tabernacle Choir.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uslytyVrWFw

Come Thou Fount

1. Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

2. Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Hither by Thy help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above.

3. Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above.

4. O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above.

5 comments:

Angela said...

This has long been a favorite hymn of mine. I think I have probably have at least ten different versions in my CDs. Thanks so much for posting the words to it. Confession: I've been singing a couple parts all wrong for years. Good thing it was just my kids listening in while I drove and not someone who knew, or cared!

Angela said...

Okay, that sounded weird...my kids do know me. It's late. You knew what I meant.
Angela

jennycooks said...

Angela - that's so funny! I get the words to so many songs wrong, thank goodness we have our kids as a sounding board!

Shelby said...

What a beautiful post! It's nice to read something on the spiritual side once in a while!

Sarah said...

That was a great post..I also love the song and the little history lesson =). You have been such a good little blogger lately! 3 posts since I last read!